The Village

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Village

Post  lookingahead on 24/02/10, 07:31 pm

It was shocking to me how similar the movie, The Village, is to Saskatoon Christian Centre... it was almost eerie. I thought this movie review for it was very good and so descriptive of SCC and the people there.

"Shyamalan suggests that while it’s noble for human beings to want to withdraw from potentially dangerous environments to protect family, improve sanity and preserve innocence, those who do may be exchanging one form of oppression for another.

Do the ends justify the means? He also implies that our fear of the unknown may be misguided—that we have more to fear from within our community than from outside of it. Indeed, the fallen nature knows no boundaries and people within our midst may be a greater threat than strangers. Also, we can’t get help from neighbors we have no relationship with."

It all hits home for me, esp the last sentence.

lookingahead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Too Real

Post  Live and Learn on 24/02/10, 10:55 pm

I agree. Had I not had my SCC experience, I'm not sure I would have even finished watching The Village - it is too bizarre and freaky. However, since I could relate I watched it all and the parallels were erie. And, in the end, the same words that describe the movie also apply to SCC.

Live and Learn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jonestown

Post  Enlightened on 25/02/10, 12:02 am

Another similar situation that I saw a documentary of was the Jonestown community. Jonestown was taken to the extreme, but has many similar SCC traits. Also, I found The Truman Show hit a little too close to home as well when it came to SCC.

Enlightened

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Village

Post  emigration on 07/03/10, 04:02 pm

The movie itself was panned by critics. Too bad, it is a eye opening tool for anyone in an abusive church. Any member (past or current) of SCC has to see the similarities to The Village life and SCC church. The leaders,elders, kept information from the villagers so they would not be harmed by the "big bad world" of information and possible injury.
Their intent was to have a puritan society, free from evil people. They perpetuated a lie and took away freedoms for the villager's greater good. It was safe but not free. They were blissfully ignorant, kept in check by fear, prisoners within their puritan village. They had no impact on the world outside.

emigration

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Village

Post  Sponsored content Today at 09:17 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top