Is it really a "Safe" place to raise your kids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it really a "Safe" place to raise your kids?

Post  FreedMan on 14/03/10, 08:29 pm

I used the line "well at least it's a safe place to raise my kids" many times in the past when I was trying to reconcile things that just didn't seem to sit right with me. It seemed like an honourable reason - putting my family first - ahead of my own "feelings" or doctrinal concerns. I was the adult and could handle / cope with the incongruencies between my own personal convictions and what we were being told to accept and believe from the pulpit. At least my kids were getting the Word of God in a pure and simple form.......I was wrong. My kids are grown and I now see and hear the things that they knew were wrong and how they had to cope - how they learned how to play the "pleasing game", keep your mouth shut, only share positive things with your counsellor or youth leader. What a travesty. More on that in a later post.

Today I attended a denominational church as a first time visitor. I saw their website and it looked intriguing. It was refreshing - so nice to attend a church that doesn't have the minister on a pedestal or behind security guards ushers. She spoke from her heart and was brief and to the point. (PTL) But the thing that struck me the most was a childrens song that the kids (& congregation) sang before they left service to go to their own classes. I can't remember the words exactly but it basically was all about being aware of the people around you, what their needs are , how you can help and how God is the source of the love that you can show to others. It wasn't about being a good little girl or boy so Jesus will bless you, it wasn't about performing these "steps" in order to be a good Christian like the pastor - it was about helping those around you in whatever way you can. It was postive, upbeat and "inclusive". Made me realize that the exclusion training - the "us and them" mindset that is so strong at scc starts at an early age.

Don't hear me wrong, many, many, many wonderful people have poured their hearts and lives into the children over the years - teaching them about Jesus - but it was (is) done in such a very narrow context that the kids wind up being so focused on scc, it's "mission" and submitting to authority while avoiding the "bad, destructive, out to get you" world that they are afraid of contact with the very people they are called to bring the Kingdom to. They are taught a dependant faith right from day one - dependant on scc leadership - not on the one true living God.

Just some thoughts.

FreedMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it really a "Safe" place to raise your kids?

Post  Sharrod on 30/03/10, 06:56 am

I guess that's my biggest beef at scc. My brother, and others, I literally have argued with about the 'safe' place to raise your kids. I thank God often for getting us out of there before our son was old enough to go to the academy. I would hear stories and thought, "Yup, they're going to have problems with me." I said it earlier about how they are trained young, to run down to the front, and that, in some way, made them holier. At a young age, they are taught that the outside appearance is what's important. They knew the leaders were watching them. Early on they are patted on the back for doing those kinds of things from Garrett, Brien and Keith. I'm glad we never experienced the academy life first hand. I can't remember who posted it, but someone had said that there are many good, God loving, God fearing people, who pour their lives into the kids there, and that should be commended. That is where people could say it is a safe place to raise your kids. Now if those people were given the go ahead to do as they see fit, instead of being controlled, it might be ok. When we made the choice to leave scc, my brother asked where we were going to sent our son to school. I told him we were looking at Saskatoon Christian School. He said, do you realize Jonah could get a homosexual substitute teacher? I responded, that may be true (It isn't in fact), but worse can happen at the academy. Your kids could learn to be submitted to their godly authority thinking that pleased God. Once that happens, it could be a long haul for them to hear the voice of the True Shepherd. The way I see it, it's a dangerous place to raise your kids. I will venture to say, your kids are better off in the public school system, than that system. At least in the public system, you can still be the dominant influence in your kids' life.

Sharrod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A Safe Place to Raise Children?

Post  setfree on 31/03/10, 10:58 am

Right-on Sharrod! Over the years I've wondered why people left SCC as soon as their kids graduated. I thought that the only reason they stayed was because it was "a safe place to raise their kids". In fact what happened was that most of those kids were so badly damaged emotionally that they didn't want to have anything to do with church or preachers or God.

The leadership at SCC use the kids in the school to try to manipulate the home to be what they think it should be. If you leave your children in CCA, not only will your kids be scarred but your marraige and family will be in danger of being torn apart. In the end you discover that what you thought you were doing "by faith" was in fact the manipulation of an abusive system.

Without public dialogue such as this many parents will go through life thinking that it was there fault not realising that they were set up.

setfree

View user profile

Back to top Go down

An Observation

Post  FreedMan on 02/04/10, 12:33 pm

Great posts and some valuable insights - keep them coming!

One observation that I've made watching my own adult children, having grown up in the scc - cca system, is their struggles with trusting their own instincts, insight and personal judgement. They were taught to watch and imitate their leaders, teachers, and elders, to submit all decisions to their counsellor, and to NOT take any action without first getting approval (from leadership). They were also subtly (by the system) and at other times plainly told, that their parents were not as spiritual or as wise as their leaders. Consequently, they were robbed of some basic lessons of life - actions have results that are in keeping with the action (gosh - sometimes even greater), your parents can help you if you'll talk to them, if you don't try something you'll never grow, if you don't use your own judgement it will never develop, your friends (good or "bad") are there to help share life experiences with, your God given instincts are good and common sense is just that -common - not some spiritual gift that only leadership has mysteriously developed through years of walking in the way.

In their efforts to "protect" the children and "train them up", scc creates an artificial bubble of isolation where the child's thoughts, actions and influences are formed by and into the "one size fits all" model that scc leadership has fine tuned over the years. The child can only function within the bubble and that bubble only exists within the scc environment.

Unfortunately, one size doesn't fit all. Preaching that says:

"I was a kid once",
"I know what & how kids think",
"kids will always make the wrong choice if left to make a choice without input",
"all these kids were exposed to the same things <in scc & cca> . The bad ones had the same opportunities as the good ones, they just made wrong choices",

contain elements of truth but also point to a ridgid system and way of thinking that makes no allowances for God given individuality, personality, uniqueness or needs. The rich tapestry of gifts, talents, and quirks that define each child is whitewashed into a grey, skin tight, plastic blanket that suffocates the individual and their growth.

SCC prides itself on preparing children "to make a life - not just a living".

My observation is that scc does prepare children to make a life -BUT ONLY WITHIN THE ARTIFICIAL SCC BUBBLE- and not in the real world as real people.

FreedMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Great to hear

Post  I believe (SCC is a cult) on 02/05/10, 02:00 pm

It is about time that people that had their kids in school (if that is even the correct name to call it) started to speak up and let others know that the brainwashing that happens there is wrong. The people running the school are not teachers and the classroom staff are good Christians that are being deceived. My kids went through the school and both graduated with senior matriculation but not because of the school. It was a lot of hard work done at home and they took all the departmental exams to get credit.
Don't be fooled by the garbage talk that they use to make them look like they are the best thing in town. There are many other schools (even the ones that don't have christian in their names) that really care for you kids and better yet will give them an education. I really struggle with the leaders (that is at least what they call themselves) at scc passing judgements on other organizations that they know nothing about and are too ignorant to learn.
Just as a side note, we live in the world and so some tools of the world are valuable to have, if I remember correctly even Jesus was a carpenter. Raising children to have them work in the church and some day the empire will be their empire. What ever happened to God choosing his leaders? Or is the new name for god = keith?

Love you comments Sharrod.
God is good

I believe (SCC is a cult)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it really a "Safe" place to raise your kids?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 02:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top